Sociedad Ibero-Americana de la Historia
de la Fotografia Museo Fotográfico y Archivo Historico "Adolfo Alexander"
Fórum Yahoo [maquinas russas]
Also Dong Feng and Heping
extraordinary Dong Feng (Eastern Wind) and Hong Qi (Red Flag) photo cameras were built in
Also two movie cameras Hong Qi for 16mm and Heping (Peace) for 35mm film with the same high quality level, at the world’s top standards.
Here, the 6X6 camera with normal lens (3rd Version)
Here the outfit. These high grade cameras were sold in kit form in order to impress foreign people.
The wide angle and telephoto lenses with their own “Compur “ type shutters.(w/ 1/1000 top speed !)
Lenses are direct copy of 80mm Planar, 50mm Distagon and 150mm Tele-Tessar.
The body of course, is a direct Hasselblad 500 series descendant.
zhang xk comment:
Dong Feng 120 SLR ,like the Red Flag
20, is another attempt to produce a top end camera. It is a copy of a Hasselblad 500C, but with a top speed of 1/1000 second.
Only 97 cameas were made in three slightly different variations.
An outfit was retailed
at more than RMB 9000 in the 1970's, when a Leica M3
with a normal lens was only about RMB2000-3000.
So the camera was hard to sell for the very high price.
The owner of this camera is a well known Chinese camera collector. I heard that he sold part of his collection of vintage Chinese cameras a few years ago for US$100,000. He also has some other versions of this camera.
But don't take the price information seriously. That only gives you a rough idea. But the Rolex was a fake!
First version as Dong Feng (Eastern Wind) 1/1000 maximum shutter speed
In this version, film magazine is opened by a back door for loading (Bronica style)
J. Paul comment:
I think, to be able perhaps to answer some of your questions on this mythic camera
I had luck, indeed, to
meet and to question for a long time on this topic, about fifteen year ago, a
He was, during this period, exclusive importer of Chinese machine-tools and camera bottoms of range ( maybe Seagull ???) , for
Between 69 and 73, they worked, and after these 4 years made birth the 1st body.
- It also had to be offered, as gift for guests of mark. - Fidel Castro, Tito and I.Gandi would have received one of it in " case ". I will come back there later... and in gifts " of honor" to the politicians, policies/military of high ranks and maybe science people…
- According to MX, since China had to convince the west as well as the Orient, of its supremacy, the chosen shape, characteristic of the device was a mixture of Leica M4-M5 and Canon 7. The " look " of the device becoming thus " universal ".
- It was chosen Leica bayonet " M " on the lenses and camera , this prevented all import and merchandising outside China, because patent rights, in most countries and in particular the industrialized western countries, including Japan. So the RF20 was in fact, unmarketable outside
- For what concerns the produced quantities, MX informed me that one had told him that he had been manufactured 198 bodies - for all product in 1973.
- 198 x 1.4/50 lenses made between 1973 and 1974
and 72 x 1.4/35 and 2/90 between 1974 and 1975.
- Contrary to what is sometimes said, MX , had never heard about the construction of a scientific body without view-rangefinder.
- Rigid “ case " made of black leather, stamped of the acronym gold RED FLAG 20, with the inside made of red velvet would have been produced according to the needs for prestigious gifts. About 30 pieces would have been produced. These cases could contain the body and its 3 lenses, has place for 10 circular filters and a pitfall to accommodate 4 X 35mm films in its side.
- This material was clearly unknown in
- MX had to send back to
In 1975 - 1976,
- At the end of 1978, other people contacted MX. One proposed him to send back the complete Hong Qi outfit case to China or to keep it against the sum of 1.000 $. MX decided to keep this camera and to use it in complement of his M3. He used the RF20 regularly during 20 years, without problem,; what proves that the quality of this material is very good.
- Optics are judged excellent by MX, exact Leica copies of :
- 1.4/50 Summilux
- 1.4/35 Summilux
- and 2/90 Summicrons.
- The optics for Leica " M " are perfectly usable on the RF20 and those of the RF20 on the Leica bodies except, of course, CL. Mount and rangefinder system being precisely identical.
- MX didn't speak the use that one made to some RF20s, except that the address for back " its " RF20 was, " military ".
RF20 and its 3 optics are a really exceptional quality and are perfectly interchangeable with the Leicas M. lenses
Body n°: 73001 -The first RF20 body made !
Lens f1.4/50 n°: 740021 - it possesses a sunshade dedicated for 48mm diameter. This sunshade, put makes plug upside-down the lens.
Lens f1.4/35 n°: 75009
Lens f2/90 n°: 750052 - it possesses, as the Summicron, a built-in sunshade and a nut of foot.
My long discussion with MX, having convinced me of the exactness of his subjects.
Thank you, and
J - Paul
Hong Qi 20 with 90mm lens
Hong Qi 20
Hong Qi 20 normal lens, sunshade and eveready case
outfit and case
Outfit 2nd view
Outfit 3rd view
with 50mm lens
with 90mm lens
Rear view: The first body made!
Front view 1.4/50
f 1.4/35mm wide angle
Lenses with French Customs liberation cards.
The Red Flag 20 is
actually a copy of Leica M3 and M4, and possibly the
only one in the world. Mao's wife, Madam Jiang Qing was very keen on photography. She worked as an
Qi 20 at 1977 Fair of
Yes ! Hong Qi also was a movie camera!
Made in the Guangzhou Optical Research Institute factory is here seen with three fixed focal lenses and one zoom lens. They are 1,9/16mm: 1.5/25mm : 1.8/50mm and a Zoom 1.8 20-70mm Reflex finder and Bolex RX Mount 12 to 36 fps speeds
In a new developed body one can easily see tre strong Paillard Bolex influences. Even to the Kern objectives,
As the RED FLAG camera, it sports its name with the Mao’s caligraphy.
Inside view. One can clearly see the Bolex film loop forming guides
And why not a 35 mm professional movie camera?
Now the Arriflex inspired the